West Mercia Police is organised into five policing areas which cover the counties of Herefordshire, Shropshire, Telford & Wrekin and Worcestershire.
Our territorial policing units are:
- North Worcestershire (covering Kidderminster, Bromsgrove and Redditch)
- South Worcestershire (covering Worcester, Malvern, Droitwich, Pershore and Evesham)
- Telford & Wrekin
As of April 2013 the force employs 2,101 police officers, 255 community support officers, 1,609 police staff and 318 members of the Special Constabulary.
In June 2011, Warwickshire Police and West Mercia Police agreed to form an alliance between their two forces. The alliance will enable both forces to meet the challenge of reducing policing budgets and provide greater operational and organisational resilience in the years ahead. Together we will deliver high quality, value for money policing services to protect our communities from harm (View the full announcement).
Force identities will be retained and both forces will continue to address local policing priorities agreed with local communities and partners.
Each force retains separate Chief Constables and Deputy Chief Constables who remain accountable to their Police Authorties for the delivery of policing. Assistant Chief Constables have shared portfolios across both forces, as do the Director of Finance and Director of Enabling Services posts.
Chief Constable David Shaw
Deputy Chief Constable Simon Chesterman
The Chief Constable and Deputy Chief Constable are responsible for the overall control and direction of the force and liaison with the wider Alliance Chief Officer team.
Assistant Chief Constable - Local Policing, Gareth Morgan
Including anti-social behaviour, community reassurance, community resolution, crime risk management, hate crime, licensing, local crime investigations, local CID investigations, offender management, problem-solving and harm reduction, response policing, Safer Neighbourhood Teams, schools liason, supporting key events (e.g. football matches), volunteer management and youth inclusion.
- Head of Local Policing - Chief Superintendent Nick Mason (biography)
Operational Support Services
Including call handling and deployment, case file progression and submission to the Crime Prosecution Service, civil disclosure (e.g. CRB checks), crime bureau, custody, evidence review, firearms licensing, front counters management, incident management and recording, traffic and tickets, witness care.
- Head of Operational Support- Chief Superintendent Trevor Albutt
- Operations & Communications Centres - Superintendent Charles Hill
Assistant Chief Constable - Protective Services, Karen Manners
- Head of Protective Services - Detective Chief Superintendent Andy Rowsell (biography)
- Crime Manager - Detective Superintendent Graeme Pallister
Including chemicals, digital evidence, fingerprints, footwear, high-tech crime, imaging and CCTV, Scenes of Crime Officers.
- Head of Forensic Services - Tristram Elmhirst
Including analysis, research and processing, Covert Authorities, risk assessment, witness support
- Head of Intelligence - Detective Superintendent Alex Franklin-Smith
Including casualty bureau, exhibits and disclosure management, major incident investigation, Holmes management, investigation deployment
- Head of Major Investigations Unit - Detective Superintendent Adrian McGee
Including Chemical, Biological, Radiological and Nuclear response, co-ordinated searches, firearms, road policing and safety, dogs section, operations planning and duties management, air support.
- Head of Operations - Superintendent Lee Davenport
Protecting Vulnerable People
Including child protection, child exploitation enquiries, concerns for mental health, domestic abuse, sexual offences, vulnerable adults, management of offenders.
- Head of Protecting Vulnerable People - Detective Superintendent Amanda Blakeman
Including economic crime, serious and organised crime, Special Branch, surveillance, technical support.
- Head of Specialist Operations - Superintendent Daryn Elton
Director of Enabling Services, Richard Elkin
Responsible for the following Command portfolios within West Mercia:
Business Assurance and Continuous Improvement
Including legal services, performance management, strategic planning.
Head of Business Assurance & Improvement- Michelle Buttery (biography)
Contracts & Procurement
Including contracts management and supplies management.
- Head of Contracts and Procurement - Ann Church (biography)
Including internal communications, media campaigns, press relations and digital media.
- Head of Corporate Communications - Kate Quilley (biography)
Including assets and property management, facilities management.
- Head of Estates Services - Jim Stobie
Information Communications & Technology
Including ICT infrastructure management, communications technology
- Head of Information and Communications Technology - Wayne Parkes (biography)
Including Human Resources, Professional Standards, workforce development
Head of People Services - Chief Superintendent Steve Burrows
Head of Workforce Development (including Professional Standards) - Superintendent Steve Eccleston
Including fleet management and vehicle maintenance.
- Head of Transport Services - Dave Newbold
Director of Finance Heather Costello
Including accountancy, budgeting, financial planning, financial systems management, insurance, management accounting, payroll, treasury management, pensions and payments.
- Head of Corporate Finance - Jeff Carruthers (biography)
Including budgeted posts management, financial administration, seized and found property, document archiving, secretarial support.
- Head of Resource Management - Rachel Hartland-Lane