Burglary remains relatively low - fewer than one per cent of homes are burgled each year in West Mercia. The summer months can be a time when your home is more vulnerable, however. Hot weather tempts people to leave windows and doors open and homes are left unattended when people go on their summer holidays.
The good news is that there are lots of things you can do to improve your home security. Most burglaries are carried out by opportunistic thieves rather than ‘professional’ criminals who are looking for the easiest way of getting into a house without being seen or disturbed. If you can close off these opportunities you are much less likely to be burgled.
- Don't leave side gates open or unlocked
- Fit window locks - and use them! Make sure you shut any accessible windows if rooms are unattended or overnight.
- Don't leave ladders out allowing access to otherwise inaccessible windows.
- Store securely any garden tools which could be used to force entry.
- Keep hedges trimmed and low so they don't provide cover for burglars to break in.
- Keep spare keys properly concealed and secured.
Property mark your valuables and then make the details viewable to the police by registering them on Immobilise - http://www.immobilise.com/
You can register property such as mobile phones, MP3 players, bicycles, cameras and laptops, it's free of charge and it will improve your chances of getting it back if it is lost or stolen.