Frequently Asked Questions
Do you have a general question about policing or the law? You may be able to find the answer here.
Through our frequently asked questions section we aim to help you find the answers you need without having to call us to ask for information. We've provided answers to questions on a range of topics which are regularly asked of police forces up and down the country.
- Do I have to report an accident to my insurance company?
- Do I have to report to the police an accident/collision that happened in a car park?
- Do the police prosecute failing to stop and report an accident in every case?
- Following a road traffic accident I exchanged details. I do not think the other person has got any insurance, what should I do?
- How long do I have to report an incident to the police?
- How long will it be before I hear from the police after I have reported an accident?
- How soon do I have to report a collision after it has happened?
- I have been in a road traffic accident, nobody was injured and we both stopped, do I need to report it to the police?
- I have been in a road traffic accident, nobody was injured but the other party did not stop, do I need to report it to the police?
- I have been injured by a cyclist who was riding dangerously and/or carelessly. Can I report this to the Police?
- I have been involved in a road traffic accident and my insurance company wants the details of the other driver - how do I get them?
- I have been involved in a traffic accident/collision and I think I have an injury, do I need to report it to the police?
- I have had an accident with a foreign vehicle, what should I do?
- I have just knocked over a cat and killed it, what should I do?
- I have knocked over an animal, do I have to report it?
- I have missed a flight because of a road traffic collision on my way to the airport, the insurance company would like some proof, can you help?
- I stole a car when I was 15 and received penalty points as part of my punishment. What effect will this have when I am old enough to start driving?
- Is it illegal to smoke whilst driving?
- What could happen if I get points on my licence as a provisional or newly qualified driver?
- What do the police class as an emergency/when can I call 999?
- What documents do I need to take with me to the station to report a road traffic accident/collision?
- What is a notice of intended prosecution?
- Where can I get some information on Advanced driving from?
- Which station do I have to report a road traffic accident/collision to?
How To Find An Answer
Click on a letter in the A to Z index to find a topic - for example 'A' for anti-social behaviour.
Click on a topic and you will then see a list of questions related to that topic. Click on a question and the relevant answer will be displayed.
You can also use the FAQs search box to look up a question. Just enter a keyword to find a list of related questions.
If you can't find an answer to your question, you can contact PNLD to suggest they add it. If you need an answer to your question quickly, please call 101, the 24-hour non-emergency number for West Mercia Police. Always call 999 in an emergency.
Answers in this FAQ section are provided by the 'Ask the Police' website. Produced by the Police National Legal Database (PNLD) team, 'Ask the Police' is an official police site approved by the Association of Chief Police Officers. All FAQ answers are © PNLD.