Frequently Asked Questions
Do you have a general question about policing or the law? You may be able to find the answer here.
Through our frequently asked questions section we aim to help you find the answers you need without having to call us to ask for information. We've provided answers to questions on a range of topics which are regularly asked of police forces up and down the country.
- Can I have some information on how I can become a dog handler/ trainer in the police?
- Can you tell me about Community Support Officers?
- Can you tell me about other careers in the police force?
- Can you tell me about the police cadet scheme?
- How do I join the police?
- How old do I have to be to join the police service?
- I want to join the Special Constabulary, how do I go about it?
- I work in the police service and want a change in my career, can you suggest how I go about it?
- If I have a criminal conviction can I still join the Police?
- What qualifications do I need to be a police officer?
How To Find An Answer
Click on a letter in the A to Z index to find a topic - for example 'A' for anti-social behaviour.
Click on a topic and you will then see a list of questions related to that topic. Click on a question and the relevant answer will be displayed.
You can also use the FAQs search box to look up a question. Just enter a keyword to find a list of related questions.
If you can't find an answer to your question, you can contact PNLD to suggest they add it. If you need an answer to your question quickly, please call 101, the 24-hour non-emergency number for West Mercia Police. Always call 999 in an emergency.
Answers in this FAQ section are provided by the 'Ask the Police' website. Produced by the Police National Legal Database (PNLD) team, 'Ask the Police' is an official police site approved by the Association of Chief Police Officers. All FAQ answers are © PNLD.