The E Safety 5Ps For Parents
Keep in the know about e-safety and follow the 5Ps for parents.
- Positive - Stay positive about social networking sites. Strike a balance between educating children to behave safely and trusting them to get on with it.
- Privacy - Make sure children know how to use privacy settings. Explain the importance of keeping information private and not sharing everything with everyone. Check they know all their online friends. If they don't, delete them.
- Photos - Check that any photos posted are suitable. Photos can easily be copied, changed or circulated. They can potentially stay online forever.
- Postings - Establish ground rules about what is and isn't acceptable to say - about themselves and others.
- Parents - Encourage children to tell you about inappropriate contact that makes them feel uncomfortable. Offensive images or messages can be reported to the police via the Child Exploitation and Online Protection Centre website: www.ceop.gov.uk/reportabuse