Vehicle crime is not common in West Mercia and we are working hard to reduce it even further. A tiny minority of vehicles registered in the whole of Herefordshire, Worcestershire, Shropshire and Telford & Wrekin are involved in crime each year, but there are simple steps you can take to make life even harder for criminals.
Most vehicle crime is opportunistic and happens as a result of a vehicle being left vulnerable or unsecured, for example:
- Doors or windows left unlocked
- Keys left in the ignition
- Personal belongings on display (e.g. handbag, laptop)
- Sat nav and holder left in vehicle
- Parked in a poorly lit areas
- During winter, vehicles being left unlocked with engines running to defrost
The advice below will provide you with some tips on how you can outsmart car thieves. Following these simple steps will help us to reduce vehicle crime even further and save you the hassle and expense of having to repair any damage caused during a vehicle break-in.
Make sure everyone - including the criminals - knows your vehicle has nothing worth stealing inside by downloading and displaying our 'Stop - All Valuables Have Been Removed' postcard in the windscreen.