Visit our new website
Our new website is coming soon - you can view some of the new features by clicking the link. Check back for updates on careers, firearms and explosives licensing, crime prevention advice and more.
Visit our new website
Search Site

Leave page quickly

Theft from person

What to do now?

You can contact the police on 101 to report the Theft, visit a police station or alternatively use the .

If you are unsure of where your local police station is and what time it is open, you can check here.

Before contacting the police to report a theft it would be useful if you had any makes, models and serial numbers for any of the items that have been stolen.

If you are able to provide any makes, models and serial numbers it means that we can search our systems to see if any of the items have been handed in. Also, by having specific information about property that has been stolen means that we can detail the stolen property onto the Crime Report whereby if your items are found at a later stage, the property can be searched for and would be traced back to yourself as your details would be on the Crime Report.

What happens next?

Once you have reported an incident of theft to the police, you will be given a Crime Reference Number which you may need for insurance purposes.

If you feel that you would like some reassurance and safety advice then this can be arranged so the local officers from the Safer Neighbourhood Team can come out to see you or alternatively give you a call. To find you local Safer Neighbourhood Team please enter your postcode in the search below.

loading icon

What else can I do?

If the item that has been stolen from you is a mobile phone, a laptop a games console, a bike or a camera then you can register your property as stolen on which is the UK National Property Register. However you would need specific serial numbers for your items before you can register them on the website.

Alternatively if the item that has been stolen is one of the following items then you should also contact the relevant authorities/organisations to let then know:

  • a bank card - contact the Bank or Building Society to get the bank card cancelled and also to find out whether there have been any transactions on your card after it had been stolen. If the bank provide you with details of transactions that were made after your card was stolen then please ensure you obtain the following information so that we can investigate the card usages: the date, time, amount and location of the transaction.
  • a driving licence - to advise them that your driving licence has been stolen, this can be done by following the link
  • a passport - contact the Passport Office or alternatively visit If a Passport is found and handed in to a Police Station, it will have to be sent back to the Passport Officer and cannot be returned back directly to the person who it belongs to.
  • a mobile phone - contact your Service Provider to get the phone barred so ensure that no one can make calls from it.