Search Site

Leave page quickly

Man jailed for attempting to rape 11-year-old girl

A man has been jailed for up to 18 years after being found guilty of attempting to rape an 11-year-old girl.

Joshua Beardmore, 25, of Glenthorne Avenue, Worcester, was found guilty of attempted rape and sexual assault by penetration.

The assault took place on 25 May 2018 in an alleyway off Barker Street in Worcester.

Beardmore grabbed the girl, sexually assaulted her and attempted to rape her. The girl broke free and raised the alarm.

Beardmore was arrested at his home a short time later after being identified by the victim.

Beardmore denied that the offence had taken place, but today (Thursday 8 November) a jury at Worcester Crown Court found him guilty.

He will serve a minimum of 12 years before being considered for release on licence for six years.

Detective Constable Alistair Mulcaster, the lead officer in the case, said: "This was a horrific attack on a young girl who has shown great bravery in reporting the incident and supporting the investigation.

"There is no doubt in my mind that Beardmore is a danger to young girls and deserves to be behind bars.

"His actions will have deeply affected the victim and I hope that following this verdict her and her family feel a sense of justice."

Detective Inspector Tony Garner from Worcester CID said: "I would like to pay tribute to the officers involved in this case for the professionalism they have shown in such a sensitive investigation and their dedication to ensuring justice was delivered for the victim. The judge stated that the officers conduct had been exemplary. I have no doubt the public will be grateful that a dangerous offender has been taken of the streets."

 

Posted by Sam Cook, Communications Officer

Published 08/11/18