Search Site

Leave page quickly


This page will give you help and advice on bailiffs.

Most bailiffs who have power of entry from a court to use force to enter your property will call police first to prevent a breach of the peace. However, if you are in a situation where you are being threatened with, or are in fear of, violence or damage to your property then please ring us on 999 or the alternative emergency number 112; for the deaf, hard of hearing or speech impaired call 18000 to use Next Generation Text Service; or use emergencySMS.

In the "Offsite Links" section to the right is a link to Citizen's Advice Bureau advice on bailiffs. It contains information about bailiffs, who are enforcement officers used to chase up certain kinds of debts. It explains what a bailiff is and the process they must follow. You'll also find information about how you can prevent or stop bailiff action, what to do if a bailiff is due to visit, what you need to do if you've received a bailiff's notice, and how to complain about bailiffs.

You will also see a link to the government website which gives you helpful advice on the law and best practice.