Visit our new website
Our new website is coming soon - you can view some of the new features by clicking the link. Check back for updates on careers, firearms and explosives licensing, crime prevention advice and more.
Visit our new website
Search Site

Leave page quickly

Road Traffic Collisions (RTCs)

I have had a road traffic collision (RTC), do I need to report it to the police?

Involved in an RTC?

If there are any serious injuries or you are in a vulnerable position due to other traffic dial 999 or the alternative emergency number 112; for the deaf, hard of hearing or speech impaired call 18000 to use Next Generation Text Service; or use emergencySMS. The following information will help you to comply with the law.

With all RTCs, no matter how minor you must:

  • stop
  • give the name and address of the driver
  • give the name and address of the owner of the vehicle
  • give the registration number of the vehicle

To anybody who may need it.

You must also:

  • provide evidence of your insurance details if anybody has been injured in the collision, or if anybody has just grounds to require them

If you cannot provide any of the above information or there is nobody able to request the information:

  • You should call 101 to report the incident and will be provided with a log reference number. Alternatively you can report this to your local police front counter.

For information on what Road Traffic Collisions Warwickshire and West Mercia Police will record and investigate, please click on "Road Traffic Collisions" in the "Related Pages" section to the right before attending the Police front counter.

If you are reporting a collision to a police front counter, you will need to take all of the following documents/information with you if available:

  • The date and time of the collision
  • The registration and make of your vehicle
  • The registration and make of any other vehicles involved
  • Contact details of the other person, or people, involved in the collision
  • Contact details of any witnesses to the collision
  • Contact details of anyone who was injured and details of their injury
  • Insurance certificate
  • MOT certificate

I can't see the answer to my question above?

If the above does not answer your question please go to the "Related Pages" to the right of the page for West Mercia Police FAQs. If you believe you still need police and would like to find out how to contact us, please click on this link.