Search Site

Leave page quickly

By phone

If you are contacting us by phone, please view the advice below on which number to ring.

When should I use 999 (or the alternative emergency number 112)?

999 is for reporting emergency situations only; below is a helpful mnemonic to remember when to use it.

P Phone 999 only if

O Offenders are nearby

L Life is at risk

I Injury is caused or threatened

C Crime or disorder is in progress

E Emergency situations


When should I use 101?

  • if you have had a minor traffic collision
  • if your property has been damaged
  • if your car has been stolen
  • if you suspect drug dealing
  • if you have been burgled and there are no offenders on scene
  • if you have witnessed a crime
  • if you have information about criminals in your local area
  • if you have seen a missing person
  • if you need crime prevention advice
  • if you want to speak to a local police officer/ your local Safer Neighbourhood Team
  • if you want to speak to the police about any other incident that doesn't require an immediate response
  • if you want to make us aware of any policing issues in your local area


What is 101?

101 is now the number to call when you want to get through to your local police when it's less urgent than 999.

It is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Calls to 101 from land lines and mobile networks cost 15 pence per call, no matter what time of day you call or how long you are on the phone.

101 does not replace our local numbers, which you can still use.


What happens when you call 101?

When you call 101, you will be greeted by an automated system that will automatically identify your location and offer you the option of being connected to your local police force.

If you are calling within West Mercia, your call should be answered by West Mercia Police contact handlers. This ensures that staff with local knowledge can deal with calls in a way that best meets the needs of their communities.

If you would like a different force you will be given the option to speak to an operator to select your chosen area. Your call will be answered by police contact handlers in the control room of that local police force.

If you are anywhere in the UK you can still dial 101 and you will be given the option of speaking to police contact handlers within West Mercia. If your selection is not correct, you will be given the option to speak to an operator.


How can I find out the direct contact details for police departments or partner agencies?

If you click here you will be taken to our direct contact page