Allegation of Bad Driving Form
How do I report bad driving?
Being a victim of bad driving includes any situation where you have been made to feel unsafe by the actions of other drivers on the road. Warwickshire Police and West Mercia Police receive around 25 calls every day from people reporting bad driving. Often the information given to police by witnesses or victims is not enough to prosecute the offender.
What can you do?
If you are involved in an incident of bad driving which does not end in a collision, you will need to do the following:
• record the registration number and description of the vehicle(s) involved;
• take details of witnesses - these can be pedestrians or people travelling in other vehicles who saw the incident; other people in your vehicle will not count if you know them. Whilst we appreciate your time and commitment in relation to reporting any incident of bad driving, you should be made aware that in order to meet the criteria for the alleged offender to appear in court, the evidence you alone provide will not be sufficient;
• call us on 101 or visit your local police station to report the incident.
What will the police do?
A report of your incident will be recorded on a police computer system. As your report is taken, you will be asked three questions:
1. Do you have the registration number of the other vehicle(s)?
2. Do you have details of any independent witnesses?
3. Are you prepared to go to court to support proceedings?
If you answer 'no' to any of these questions, there will be no investigation into the incident.
If you answer 'yes' to these questions, the attached form can be completed and returned to the police within 10 days of the incident.
The information provided on the forms will help the police to decide if there is sufficient evidence of an offence, which can be investigated and prosecuted. We will then contact the witness(es).
If further information is needed for an investigation, you will be contacted and you will be kept informed about the progress of your case.
If the information you and the other witnesses provide is not enough to enable police to investigate, you will be notified of this result in writing.
However, if you have the registration number and description of vehicle(s), this may be given to local officers on patrol and roads policing officers for observations.
The details of the vehicle(s) will also be kept by police as intelligence and will help inform officers should the vehicle(s) be involved in another incident.
Click on the "Downloads" link at the top right of this page for a copy of the Allegation of Bad Driving form.