Visit our new website
Our new website is coming soon - you can view some of the new features by clicking the link. Check back for updates on careers, firearms and explosives licensing, crime prevention advice and more.
Visit our new website
Search Site

Leave page quickly

Neighbour disputes

We would all like to live in peace with our neighbours, but unfortunately that is sometimes not how things work out. Here's what you can do if you are having problems. Unless a crime has been committed or someone is in immediate danger, the police are unlikely to intervene in neighbour disputes. However, we'll put you in touch with the groups and organisations who can help.

Neighbour Dispute


I'm having a dispute with a neighbour about our property boundaries.

If you can't find an amicable solution with your neighbour, we suggest seeking the advice of a solicitor to resolve this. You could also contact your bank, building society, or whoever holds your deeds, to confirm the boundaries.

The following resources may also be of use:

I'm having a dispute with a neighbour about their CCTV camera pointing at my property

Many people are installing closed circuit television (CCTV) as a home security measure as it has proved to be an effective tool in fighting crime. Cameras used for limited household purposes are not subject to the Data Protection Act 1998.

However, if the footage covers areas beyond this, such as neighbouring streets or other properties, problems may arise. There could be issues regarding privacy and harassment if you are being recorded in your home.

In the first instance, speak to your neighbour to see if it's possible to reposition the camera so that it does not point at your property. If this is not successful, and you want to take further action, we recommend seeking legal advice from a solicitor.

This information is provided courtesy of Ask The Police

My neighbour plays music to an excessive level

The GOV.UK site allows you to submit a noise complaint to your local council online.

If you live in a rented property or local housing then please contact your landlord or the housing association who will be able to provide relevant support and guidance.

Further advice on what to do to resolve a neighbour dispute can be obtained from the Gov.UK website

This independent website also offers advice

If you live in a rented property or local housing then please contact your landlord or the housing association who will be able to provide relevant support and guidance.

Download leaflet: pdf icon Neighbour disputes - advice sheet [167kb]