Visit our new website
Our new website is coming soon - you can view some of the new features by clicking the link. Check back for updates on careers, firearms and explosives licensing, crime prevention advice and more.
Visit our new website
Search Site

Leave page quickly


The prosecuting authority in England for noise nuisance is your local authority. The police within England and Wales have very limited powers to deal with noise nuisance.


Police should be contacted if there is a risk of harm to an individual or damage to their property. They should also be contacted if there is a person present at the private dwelling who has been identified as vulnerable.

Where domestic violence is suspected to be linked to the noise please contact the police as soon as possible on 999.

Issues such as faulty house and car alarms or music from nearby entertainment premises or pubs can cause annoyance and stress to residents if not addressed. More often than not making people aware of the problem will resolve it.

If the noise is coming from a private dwelling, or as a result of a party within a private dwelling, then contact your local authority.

In certain circumstances it may not be appropriate for a member of the public to attempt to approach the noisy party, for example a vulnerable person is involved. In such cases where vulnerability is an issue please contact 101 and allow the police to make an assessment as to the most appropriate course of action to resolve the issue.

Who deals with this?

Your local authority environmental health department has legal powers to deal with noise. In the first instance where no vulnerable person is involved contact your local council.

Your local authority contacts

Herefordshire Council:

Shropshire Council:

Telford and Wrekin:

Worcestershire Regulatory Services:

If the noise is coming from a private dwelling, or as a result of a party within a private dwelling, then contact your local authority.

Download leaflet: pdf icon Noise - advice sheet [166kb]