Police Support Volunteers
West Mercia Police have had strong links to the voluntary sector for many years. Becoming a police support volunteer allows you the opportunity to make a difference and a valuable contribution to your community.
By contributing some of your time and skills, police support volunteers assist and enhance the normal day-to-day work undertaken by police officers and police staff.
What can we offer you?
As a police support volunteer you are given the opportunity to:
- make a valuable contribution to your community
- develop your skills and experience
- volunteer in a friendly, safe and interesting environment
- meet people and make new friends
We can offer:
- Support: If you are approved as a volunteer, you will be provided with advice, guidance and support to carry out your activities
- Training: You will not be expected to undertake tasks that you are unfamiliar with. Appropriate training will be provided, starting with an induction into the organisation
- Expenses: Volunteers can claim certain travelling and other out of pocket expenses. These will be agreed with you if you are approved as a police support volunteer.
But don't just take our word for it - see what our Police Support Volunteers had to say about volunteering with West Mercia Police.
What can you offer us?
We don't ask for any qualifications or specific experience. What we do ask for is reliability, integrity, basic numeracy, literacy and IT skills. Volunteers should also show a positive and friendly attitude and a willingness to learn.
We are looking for people ages 17 and over from all different backgrounds, with a variety of skills and experiences to assist us.
Volunteers are recruited without regard to gender, disability, race, religion or other aspects of diversity.
Volunteers bring a wide variety of life experiences and skills to the teams that they support and add value to the work of trained staff. Volunteers often have a wealth of knowledge and expertise that can also benefit the wider community.
If you are willing to volunteer 2 to 4 hours, or more, of your time per week, for a minimum period of 12 months we look forward to hearing from you.
Are you eligible to apply?
- You’re an EEA or Swiss National
- You’re aged 17 and over
- You've lived in the UK continuously for the last 3 years
- Your employment history does not have a significant possibility of causing a conflict of interest in either your professional life or volunteering role
- Volunteers must be of good character and be fully security vetted. The vetting procedure also includes close members of your family. While previous convictions will not automatically disqualify an application, they will be given careful consideration
- No formal qualifications are necessary, but reasonable numeracy, literacy and IT skills are essential
- If you require reasonable adjustments to support your role as a volunteer this will need to be declared within your medical questionnaire.
Unfortunately, we are currently paused for new applications for Police Support Volunteers.
If what you are looking for isn’t currently being advertised, please register your details for future volunteering opportunities.
Please note: By registering your interest, you consent for us to use your data for research and communication purposes, and we may contact you at any stage to discuss your interest or application.